Monday, September 21, 2009

Hi girls, Thanks so much for writing comments. My daughter set this up for me when she was here visiting me and I haven't done anything with it since. But you have encouraged me to get with it. Ketchikan is a great place to live if you know how to keep yourself busy. In the winter it gets dark so early and it rains so much that it is a struggle not to allow depression to take over. The past two winters I got involved with the many secular diversions that are available in the arts and entertainment venue. But now I have found my way into a vibrant Christian community that I am very excited about and that make me feel energized. Ketchikan has lost many of it's employment opportunities because of the environmental considerations. Some of those concerns are valid, but we Alaskans know how to protect our way of life and are constantly working in those areas. So most of the concerns are manufactured and not actually valid. Meanwhile, our lively hood is going down the tubes. Our pulp mills have closed, our timber industry has disappeared, and we are losing residents every month. I have to admit I was getting very discouraged. But many Alaskans are fed up and ready to fight for our state and our cities. We in Southeast Alaska have be relying on the cruise industry to keep us afloat. But that is not growing our cities or providing year round employment for our families or the promise of employment for our children. Drugs, alcohol, witchcraft, and other cults are moving into our cities and we have had enough and are ready to fight to restore our town to a place where people can thrive and be safe and have a future. I will step off my soapbox now and will tell you that the people of Ketchikan are the most talented, compassionate, inventive, friendly, accepting, and helpful people I have ever had the privilege to live among. I love them. I am at a crossroad in my life now. I have no obligations to tie me down to any one place, so I am seeking the Lord and asking what He would have me do. In the past when I have done that, His message to me has been that He can use me wherever I am. But I feel that He has more to say to me now so I am fasting and praying for 30 day and waiting for marching orders. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to see you post again!

    I can't wait to hear where God leads you, whether it's to stay in Alaska or to some other place.

    ReplyDelete